no avatar
User

EastWisconsinTrackChaser

Rank

ROL Member

Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:36 pm

Former tracks locations in eastern Wisconsin

Postby EastWisconsinTrackChaser » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:56 pm

I was talking with two guys from Cedarburg at Rockford and I brought up the former track at Cedarburg. On the way home I thought it would be neat to have a list and maybe some photos of the former tracks from the area. So where did there used to be tracks? I know where several tracks were:

1) Leo's Speedway was in northern Oshkosh (I can find)
2) Sheboygan track on Racetrack Road by the marine dealer (I can find)
3) Chilton (Calumet County Fairgrounds), hopefully will reopen next year (I can find)
4) Lake Geneva Raceway (I have hundreds of pictures from the final races in 2006, email me using my username at yahoo dot com if you drivers want - I may have)

5) Where was the track(s) by Appleton/Apple Creek? I remember seeing a pace truck at a New London car show.

6) Did Brown County have a track somewhere? Every other county in eastern Wisconsin area had one.

7) Where exactly is Cedarburg's grandstands?

8) Where exactly was Hales Corners and what's there now? Sadly I never when there - it closed before I started track chasing
User

VMS motorsports

Rank

ROL Member

Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:10 pm

Richfield, WI

Postby VMS motorsports » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:26 am

Hales Corners was in Hales Corners :D
(Southwest Milwaukee County)
Theres a Menards there now.

I believe the Grandstand is still up in Cedarburg
VMS Motorsports
The Heim Joint Headquarters...NEVER an extra charge for left hand thread!
www.vmsmotorsports.com
User

rjasinski46

Rank

ROL Member

Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:10 pm

Postby rjasinski46 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:19 am

Actually, the Hales Corners Speedway was in neighboring Franklin, and was indeed smack underneith the Speedway Center Menards :)
no avatar
User

devoy_56

Rank

ROL Member

Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:29 pm

Postby devoy_56 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:34 pm

Sent you an email. Thank you.
no avatar
User

ErikSwan

Rank

ROL Member

Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:18 pm

DePere Track

Postby ErikSwan » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:34 pm

6) Did Brown County have a track somewhere? Every other county in eastern Wisconsin area had one.

There was a 1/2 mile dirt track in DePere, WI at the Brown County Fairgrounds. It is entirely gone now and has been for roughly 3 decades. I have attached a picture of JJ Smith's "Tweety Bird" Camaro with the grandstands in the back ground.
Attachments
JJ Smith Tweety Bird.jpg
no avatar
User

Rajak

Rank

ROL Member

Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:35 pm

Postby Rajak » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:29 pm

EastWisconsinTrackChaser wrote:I was talking with two guys from Cedarburg at Rockford and I brought up the former track at Cedarburg. On the way home I thought it would be neat to have a list and maybe some photos of the former tracks from the area. So where did there used to be tracks? I know where several tracks were:

3) Chilton (Calumet County Fairgrounds), hopefully will reopen next year (I can find)
4) Lake Geneva Raceway (I have hundreds of pictures from the final races in 2006, email me using my username at yahoo dot com if you drivers want - I may have)

5) Where was the track(s) by Appleton/Apple Creek? I remember seeing a pace truck at a New London car show.

8) Where exactly was Hales Corners and what's there now? Sadly I never when there - it closed before I started track chasing

Appleton/Apple Creek was known as Outagamie Speedway (and at time of closing in 1974 it was Gordy's Outagamie Speedway). The track was located on far north side of Appleton on Ballard Road (near Plamann Park). Much of the track remained for years, until a housing sub-division was constructed on the site. The former pit area is all that remains, and it's now a woods. Great quarter-mile track with lots of action. Top drivers were J.J. Smith, Stu Nitzke, Jerry "Medina" Smith, Dave "Outlaw" Congers, Bob Bennett, Bob Schroeder and "Pappy" Diemel. Lots of coupes and 1957 Chevys.
no avatar
User

Wink2

Rank

ROL Member

Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:53 pm

Postby Wink2 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:12 pm

ErikSwan wrote:6) Did Brown County have a track somewhere? Every other county in eastern Wisconsin area had one.

There was a 1/2 mile dirt track in DePere, WI at the Brown County Fairgrounds. It is entirely gone now and has been for roughly 3 decades. I have attached a picture of JJ Smith's "Tweety Bird" Camaro with the grandstands in the back ground.

I'm pretty sure thats a picture from Leo's Speedway in 76 or 77
Jerry winkler
no avatar
User

Zeke8

Rank

ROL Member

Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Former tracks locations in eastern Wisconsin

Postby Zeke8 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:56 pm

egerton wi had one too
no avatar
User

Dad 1878

Rank

ROL Member

Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:52 pm

McFarland Wi

Postby Dad 1878 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:08 pm

Portage Fairgrounds had one

Rio Firemans Park
no avatar
User

twag1

Rank

ROL Member

Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:01 am

Postby twag1 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:01 am

The little town of Brussels in Southern Door County had one. You could see it from, what was then, HWY 42 (now county rd DK) just to the east of the grocery store - Marchant's.

Pretty sure that's where it was. Been gone for a LONG time - nothing visible to mark its location any longer.
no avatar
User

webecleavers

Rank

ROL Member

Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:37 am

Postby webecleavers » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:48 am

In central Wi Neillsville had a very nice and fast half mile track
no avatar
User

j5howard

Rank

ROL Member

Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:17 pm

illinois

Postby j5howard » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:19 am

adams and baraboo had tracks as well they are both part of the fairground demo track now last i knew of
no avatar
User

PhotosByHoofer

Rank

ROL Member

Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:33 pm

Red River, WI

Postby PhotosByHoofer » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:32 pm

EastWisconsinTrackChaser wrote:I was talking with two guys from Cedarburg at Rockford and I brought up the former track at Cedarburg. On the way home I thought it would be neat to have a list and maybe some photos of the former tracks from the area. So where did there used to be tracks? I know where several tracks were:

Shiocton also had a track at one time, before I was going to the races. I remember someone once saying that the kids would fish in the Wolf River off the top row of the bleachers....
Hoofer
[font="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][color="Navy"][color="Yellow"]Randy "Hoofer" Van Hoof [/color]
[url][color="Cyan"]www.photosbyhoofer.com[/color][/url][/color][/SIZE][/font]

[SIZE="2"][font="Trebuchet MS"][color="navy"][color="DarkRed"]"Live Every Day Like It Is The Last - One Day You Will Be Right"[/color][/color][/font][/SIZE]:cool:
User

Kewwis

Rank

ROL Member

Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:44 pm

Kewaskum, WI

Postby Kewwis » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:28 pm

As you drive hwy 29 West of Wausau i heard you drive right over the old Colby racetrack
User

VMS motorsports

Rank

ROL Member

Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:10 pm

Richfield, WI

Postby VMS motorsports » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:49 pm

I would love to bring Cedarburg back to life
VMS Motorsports
The Heim Joint Headquarters...NEVER an extra charge for left hand thread!
www.vmsmotorsports.com
Next